ISO 22000 is targeted to be a food safety management system. It is highly applicable to any organization related to the food chain business. ISO 22000 was primarily developed on 1st September 2005 by ISO/TC 34/SC 17. It is considered to be the first true international FSMS standard. This measure was initially published for some golden reasons. Let’s get into those points now.
- It was a response to various successful food crises like adulteration of wines, using derivatives, mad cow, and more.
- This rule was regularized for the globalization of the food supply chains to create uncertainty with regard to where the food originated from.
- This regulation was the need for the food industry to help demonstrate that systems were only established and operating as per the applicable law and the needs specified in the Codex Alimentarius.
- Moreover, the ISO 22000 was a need to help facilitate harmonization of the international food safety regulations.
So, there’s a good reason why food businesses need to show ISO 22000 certification to be in the business. It is proof to show their caring nature towards customers and provide them with the best food possible in the market.
Understanding the other family members in ISO 22000:
Along with the redaction of ISO 22000, there were other standards created. Some of those are ISO 22004 as guidance on the application of ISO 22000. Then you have ISO 22005 for enriching traceability in the feed and the food chains, and more.
There were some technical specifications included within the same sector. These will include packaging, catering, feed and animal food production, farming, and even food manufacturing. Right now, as per the ISO survey data, there are around 33,000 firms on the global platform, which are noted to be ISO 22000 certified.
The revised steps to follow:
The revised status of ISO 22000:200 was commended in September 2014. As per the latest amendments made, all the participants including the national mirror committees and technical committee members have to agree to the needs mentioned in the revised standard. The main goal over here is to serve the purpose of working with the emergent food safety issues and challenges coming their way.
- After going through a series of discussions, in June 2018, ISO 22000:2018 was published.
- One of the primary reasons behind its revision was the proper alignment of the strategic direction of any firm with the food safety management routine.
- In the same way, with the current adoption of the much-needed Annex SL structure, now you are allowed easy integration with some of the other international standards like ISO 45001, ISO 14001, and ISO 9001.
- All these additions and proper amalgamations will make a smooth road for not just the auditors, but even for the auditees, associated with the food chain business.
In order to know more about the ISO 22000, it is vital to check out the governmental status and what the rules imply around here.
The benefits of such additions:
ISO 22000 has been into place to help out firms to minimize any form of food risks and improve the current performance level related to food safety. It covers the same norms by following a framework used for developing an FSMS. It is one systematic approach to addressing all food safety-related issues. There are high-end benefits to compliance with ISO 22000 and some of those points are listed below:
- You get help to match with other guidelines and standards. ISO 22000 will link up to multiple other international guidelines and standards and will help firms to meet the needs of those systems as well.
- There is going to be a reduced investigation time. Even if contamination takes place, the FSMS helps the firms to reduce the time that it otherwise takes to investigate any food safety breaches. It helps in solving the problems a lot faster.
- You get the chance to meet the regulatory needs over here. Proper compliance with the regulatory needs is needed to procure the ISO 22000 certification. Having one FSMS in its right place will help the firms to match up with all the requirements and understand ways how these points will impact not just the firm but its customers.
- There is an improved response to the risks with ISO 22000 in place. With FSMS in place, it becomes a lot easier to respond to some of the issues quickly, which might otherwise compromise the food safety notions. It will help to stop any potential contamination before it can actually occur.
- For improved customer satisfaction rates, implementing ISO 22000 is a must for the food chains and organizations. It will help your firm to deliver only those products that match customer expectations completely.
Now you know the benefits of implementing ISO 22000 and why more food chains are relying on ISO 22000 certifications.